Sunday, February 21, 2016

Block # 4

I hand pieced these 8 star points together. It actually came together far easier than I had anticipated. My hand piecing skills are very new. I have spent a lifetime using the sewing machine for piecing and a seam ripper for un-piecing. I started and stopped 1/4 inch from each edge.


 I hand appliqued the star points. Using longer pins, I turned under a seam allowance and pinned it in place. I used that small red flower at the point for a reference. When I got to 1/4 inch from the point, I took an extra stitch before clipping off the point and turning the corner.


 And voila! Not every design on the fabric was an exact repeat. I used the dark line in the center for a reference as I reverse appliqued the center.

Morrell block # 04

I was almost done when I realized that it was supposed to be on point. And this is how new pattterns are invented.

Blessings,
Chris

20 comments:

  1. I like your new pattern! Fussy cutting really makes this star shine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun looking through the box of French General fat quarters for a design that would fit.

      Delete
  2. When I don't orient something correctly, I declare it to be a deliberate design decision and move on! Life is too short to sweat this small stuff. Your block looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning to lighten up. In previous quilts, I have taken time to unstitch again and again to get it right.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! So glad that happens to others when they stitch! I love that you are coping with it well, life is too short not to laugh! Enjoy your stitches today whether they are on point or not!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First I stared at it in disbelief! I thought I was so careful. I think the center looks better this way. On point it looked a bit lopsided.

      Delete
  4. That is stunning Chris! wonderful fussy cutting and great points :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilda. I drool over every applique block you post.

      Delete
  5. We have the same idea this week Chris! Yours is much more advanced. I love it! I especially like the centre!I am working on my handpiecing project this week. https://pegsplace.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only hand pieced a few blocks but have decided to relax and enjoy it and I am using the longer milliner/straw needles. Also, careful measuring and cutting are helpful.

      Delete
  6. Can always cut the block and add triangles to make it on point to even add more creativity to a new adventure. Your block looks great! I am sure that you will find more blocks to hand piece once you see the freedom of stitching by hand than machine...LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next block is a rolling star. I am auditioning fabrics right now and we shall see what I end up with next week.

      Delete
  7. Hurray for design decisions (they are NOT mistakes)!! I hand pieced my first little mini quilt of squares in December (no where near as complex as these stars) and was also surprised that hand piecing was a simpler than I thought. Good for you for adding another tool to your creative belt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easier than I thought. I just needed to make up m y mind to do it.

      Delete