Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Sarah Morrell Quilt Journey Has Begun

I know I am a bit crazy, but it is so easy to start a new blog and so today I started a new blog. 
I was first introduced to the Morrell Quilt by  Carole from Wheels on the Warandyte Bus Blog. 



Two years ago, I bought the pattern from threadbear in Australia. 
It is also available in the USA from sentimental stitches.



And since I am a bit crazy, I started the quilt last week at the Just Takes 2 Quilting Retreat in Shipshewana Indiana.



I had read over the pattern instructions a few times to get an overall picture of how this thing will go together. There are a lot of techniques I could use. Using EQ7, I drafted out several of the blocks that have those fancy dancy saw-toothed borders. These blocks all finish at 10 inches so I printed off my foundation patterns onto A4 paper which is a bit longer than the letter size we use here in Canada. My logic here is that no less than 8 blocks, the center medallion and the outside borders are these similar triangles. I like logic. I will do each of them in a different colour, mostly reds. When did I decide that I like reds?



I purchased a few fat quarter bundles a year ago for this from Crafsty when they had an insane flash sale.
French General by Moda. I love love love doing hand applique with these fabrics. I pre-washed the reds a couple of weeks ago and will do the blues soon. We are on a well here at the Farm and had to put in a brand new pump and tank so there is still a bit of sand in my hard water that we share with 120 Guernsey cows.



 And I found these Winterthur Museum panels for the broderie perse applique. At this point, I am planning to fuse this and do a  machine applique stitch.



This block is so similar to the  chester criswell quilt.
So, I started here since it was easy. I like easy. But I also like a challenge.


Morrell Block # 18

 I make no promises to set a pace a certain number of blocks per week or month. There is a facebook group that I belong to that is doing a quilt along with three blocks per month. That certainly is doable. But I am a bit crazy.

Blessings,
Chris

27 comments:

  1. Hi Chris so glad you took the plunge you sure will enjoy this challenge, you do such lovely needle turn looking forward to seeing this wee block finished. Love love the fabrics you have pulled all those lovely reds. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glenda. I hope I have not bitten off more than I can chew.

      Delete
  2. I'll enjoy watching your progress. I really like the red you are using in Morrell Block #18. Hope the new pump solves your water problems. Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new pump did not deliver enough water tonight for my shower.

      Delete
  3. This looks to be a lot of fun. What's not to love about a sampler using your favorite fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to having fun with it. Somewhere alking the journey I have come to like red fabrics.

      Delete
  4. That looks like a lovely pattern to work on! I look forward to seeing your progresss.
    Good luck with that new pump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plumbers cut off 1 1/2 feet of pipe (they wanted to cut off 2 feet) in the well and it runs dry all the time now. They say it is full of sand. Time to clear all that out and that is lots of $$$.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful project, love the different blocks, what a beauty.
    I must look up the pattern.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia. I have been admiring your Stonefileds and I have the pattern in a box with fabric and now I have the EPP papers to go with it. Someday I will start.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful fabrics Chris!
    You are off to a wonderful start, such a beautiful paisley print for your first block.

    Wishing you great success and much joy on your Sarah Morrell journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doreen. You inspire me in many ways with your work.

      Delete
  7. What a coincidence that you started this blog on my birthday! Thanks for linking to my blog, I still love waking up to seeing my Morrell on my bed each morning. Love your FG fabrics and well done on scoring the Winterthur panel, I think I made 5 broderie perse blocks with that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 5? I have 4 large and 4 small panels. Hope I can get lots without repeating too much.
      I have several other broderie perse options.
      Happy Birthday.

      Delete
  8. Wow! What a project you have bitten off! Can't wait to see the progress shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. What can I say? I have a big appetite. Okay. I have a serious addiction.

      Delete
  9. Chris you will enjoy blogging it is a great way to keep a diary of your quilting. you will look back and enjoy the process after you have finished the quilt. Looking forward to following your process on this quilt I see many are working on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Blogging is a great way to keep a diary of my quilting journey. I started blogging 2 years ago and cannot believe how much quilting I have accomplished in that time. This blog will keep me accountable for my progress in this particular quilt. I love samplers. One block at a time and never two the same.

      Delete
  10. Holy cow Chris THREE!!! Well, you have your work cut out for you now. :D

    This quilt is gorgeous, and I know you will do a beautiful job. Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? I like a challenge. And I really do like this quilt.

      Delete
  11. Perspective. I just completed the 33 blocks of the Criswell quilt and most of them were similar paper cut designs so I chose this one first since it was easy to prep and carry in my gramma bag.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This long term project looks like a lot of fun and several weeks of great posts for slow Sunday stitching! I will be watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to not disappoint. I am setting up a linky party for others to share their progress as well.

      Delete
  13. Wow,what a beautiful pattern and fabric. I look forward to reading your blog and seeing your progress on the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. I will try to post every week but am off to Europe for a couple of weeks so it might not be too regular for now.

      Delete
  14. That's going to be a beautiful quilt. Love the fabrics you've got picked to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have fallen for the French General fabrics. All of them. At the rate I am picking colours, each pieced block might be a different colour.

      Delete